If you’ve been under a rock or too busy to look at the Interwebs today, you missed the big announcement of the second generation iPad. In a nutshell, Steve Jobs (yes he was on stage and seemed healthy!) unveiled an iPad that’s been totally redesigned. Here’s what’s new (image gallery below courtesy of Ars Technica and Apple) :
It’s not a tweak of the design, it’s not got marginal imrpovements. It’s really quite different (thinner, faster, snazzier)
- Still starts at $499 (five of the six of them are less than $799)
- Ships starting Friday March 11th
- It’s 33% thinner and flat on the bottom (great for placing on flat surfaces)
- It’s lighter:going from 1.5 pounds down to 1.3
Dual-core A5 (next generation) processors (Same low power as A4)
- Up to 9x faster graphics
- It has both rear and front-facing cameras
- Back is still metal
- Built in a gyroscope
- Same battery life as iPad 1 (10 hours of battery life)
- Comes in both black and white
Now in addition to having both colors, the new iPad also has models that work with both AT&T and Verizon’s 3G network
- There’s now an accessory cable that delivers HDMI mirrored video output ($39 dongle accessory)
- Snazzy new case is really just a cover that can prop up the iPad. Itit automatically instantly wakes up the iPad from sleep when you open it, uses magnets to stay closed / open, and puts the iPad to sleep when you close it. It even has a microfiber lining that cleans the screen. This is a huge upsell for Apple and they’re going to make a lot of money on this since everyone will likely buy one when they get the new iPad. 5 colors available, leather too for $69.
iOS 4.3 Enhancements
- It features iOS 4.3, the latest and greatest version of iOS.
The screen lock button can now change! Some customers want to lock the orientation of the screen, while others want a quick mute switch. Now you can choose what you want that button to do.
- Photo Booth has been tweaked to make use of the new iPad cameras. Very fun.
You can now access your computer’s music library right from your iPad (like Remote on the iPhone). You just wirelessly stream over your home wifi network right from your computer to your iPad, iPhone, iPod touch,
The new iOS 4.3 supports iPad, GSM iPhone 4, and iPhone 3GS, and 3rd & 4th generation iPod touch (no Verizon iPhone 4!)